Xitang Water Town Tour from Shanghai
Your guide will pick you up at the hotel in Shanghai and transfer to Xitang, covering a distance of 90km from Shanghai with a private air-conditioned car. The town is densely distributed with rivers and has a very quiet natural environment. 9 rivers converge in this town, dividing it into 8 sections, but many bridges link this water town together. Inside the town, there are many well-preserved architectural groups constructed during the Ming and Qing dynasties. Lunch will be at a local restaurant. Return to Shanghai in the late afternoon.
Price based on 2 travelers
- Visit a water town rich in a romantic atmosphere.
- Walk along a 1300-meter-long corridor to understand the local culture.
- Admire the unrivaled water town views from a sculling boat.
- Taste unique local food and wine.
Xitang is the most romantic water town in China, two hours away from Shanghai. Your insightful tour guide will entertain you during the car journey with his or her knowledge and anecdotes about Xitang and the ancient celebrities who used to live there.
Admiring the water town view from a river will allow you to build your first impressions of Xitang quickly and easily.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy the boat ride as the boatmen navigate the waterways of Xitang. Take in the beautiful scenery, capture photos, and immerse yourself in the unique atmosphere.
Return to the Starting Point: At the end of the boat ride, the boatmen will bring you back to the starting point or a designated docking area.
The 1,000-meter-long Yanyu Corridor is located near a river. There are over a hundred small shops in the roofed corridor, selling snacks and handcrafts, popular with tourists and local people alike.
The Yongning Bridge, stretching across the Xutang River, gives visitors the best vantage point for photos in Xitang. Hundreds of ancient houses are located on the south bank of the river. You can photograph all of them from Yongning Bridge.
Over 250 ancient wood carvings, including chairs, tables, window bars, and sculptures, are collected in this museum. They were formerly owned by rich merchants in Xitang. Most ancient houses in the South Yangtze River area were decorated by ornaments in the same style as these wooden works of art.
Chinese food always excites. The river food and local desserts in Xitang will quickly refresh you. Feel free to tell your guide what you would like to eat, as you may notice something that looks delicious during your sightseeing.
Unlike other ancient houses in Xitang, Ni House was the residence of ordinary people, not owned by rich merchants. The exquisite furniture in the house, however, tells you that even the common people in Xitang cared very much about quality of life.
The 68-meter-long Shipi Lane consists of 168 flagstones. More than 100 red lanterns hang on the walls of the narrow lane. That’s the most distinctive feature of a water town.
Tiles were an indispensable element of the roofs of ancient houses in China. Exhibits in the Tile Museum are tiles made in different ancient dynasties and styles, with different patterns such as animals, flowers or scenes from ancient stories. The oldest tile in the museum has a history of more than 1,000 years.
After the tour, you will be transferred back to your hotel in Shanghai.
Price Per Person in US Dollars
|1 Person||2 Person||3-5 Person||6-9 Person||10-20 Person|
- Entrance fees.
- Meals are listed in the itinerary.
- Private transfers.
- Private English-speaking guide and driver.
- Service Charge & Taxes.
- Operates: daily
- Departure point: Hotels in Shanghai
- Return details: returns to the original departure point
- Languages: English|German |French|Spanish|Russian|Italian (The price is based on an English-speaking guide. Extra fees apply if you need a guide with another language)
- The price of this tour will rise during the China National Day holiday (September 30th to October 7th) and the Chinese New Year holiday.
Good to Know
- This is a private tour. The local private English-speaking guide and the private car will serve your group only.
- You will receive a confirmation letter within 24 hours of making your payment.
- Your guide will contact you in the evening (Your guide will call you at around 18:00. If you missed your guide’s phone call, he or she will send you a short message) before your tour and confirm the exact pick-up time according to your preference.
- Your guide will pick you up in your hotel lobby on the tour date at the appointed time.
- The meal (if included) is in a Chinese restaurant and your guide will help you order the dishes according to your taste.
- There is absolutely no forced shopping.
- An extra fee applies if you need to be picked up or dropped off from/to airports or cruise terminals.